Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ Contents

1. What is the Bernard Osher Foundation?
  2. Why am I seeing the term OLLI?
  3. Who belongs to OLLI?
  4. Do I have to be an OLLI member to enroll in a course?
  5. Why does OLLI have a membership fee requirement?
  6. What does my membership fee include?
  7. When is registration?
  8. How do I register?
  9. How are course fees determined?
  10. If a class is full, can I add my name to a wait list?
  11. Are my membership and course fees refundable?
  12. Does OLLI offer tuition assistance?
  13. Can I make a donation to OLLI at CSU?
  14. Are assistive-listening devices available?
  15. Can I buy a gift membership?
  16. Do you cancel courses due to weather conditions?
  17. How do I become an OLLI instructor?

What is the Bernard Osher Foundation?

The San Francisco–based Bernard Osher Foundation was started in 1977 by Bernard Osher, a respected businessman and community leader. The Foundation seeks to improve quality of life through support for higher education and the arts. In partnership with the Bernard Osher Foundation, Osher Lifelong Learning Institutes are now found on the campuses of 123 prestigious colleges and universities, from Maine and California to Hawaii and Alaska. Each provides a distinctive array of noncredit courses and activities specifically developed for intellectually curious adults of all ages, with special attention to those 50 or better.

Initially endowed by the Bernard Osher Foundation, the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Colorado State University was established in 2006 and is a membership-based, self-supporting program committed to fostering lifelong learning and enriching lives. Designed to challenge and inform, courses are small, engaging, and interactive.

Return to FAQ Contents

Why am I seeing the term OLLI?

OLLI is the commonly used abbreviation for the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute which you’ll see us using throughout our catalog and on the website.  Same great program, just a shorter name.

Return to FAQ Contents

Who belongs to OLLI?

Our members are people like you from all backgrounds, professions, education and places.  We welcome adults of all ages,with special consideration of those 50 and better, with a desire to learn, engage, build new friendships, and take an active part in discovering more about the world around us.

Return to FAQ Contents

Do I have to be an OLLI member to enroll in a course?

Yes, OLLI is a member institute, and you must pay a non-refundable membership fee each term in order to enroll in any OLLI classes.

Return to FAQ Contents

Why does OLLI have a membership fee requirement?

The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at CSU is a member-based, member-driven program. Membership and course fees are critical to our institute’s success and sustainability – they help support our dynamic, quality programming and remind students that they are part of an engaged learning community and a national network of lifelong learners. The Osher Foundation also provides grant funds to OLLI programs that have developed a sustainable financial model, which includes renewable membership fees.

Return to FAQ Contents

What does my membership fee include?

An OLLI membership fee of $25 for each term is required to register for all OLLI classes,  lectures, and special programs.

Return to FAQ Contents

When is registration?

Registration opens online and the month before classes begin each term.

Spring term 2021 online-only registration will open December 18th 2020.

Spring term 2021 begins January 28th.

Return to FAQ Contents

How do I register?

A basic guide on how to register can be found in the file available for download here: How To Register.pdf

Return to FAQ Contents

How are course fees determined?

Course fees are based on a charge of $5/course hour. For example, a 6-week course meeting for two hours per week is $60, and an 8-week course meeting for two hours per week is $80. Individual OLLI Talks (formerly Perks)  2-hour lectures are $10.  Special programs are charged according to their unique costs.

Return to FAQ Contents

If a class is full, can I add my name to a wait list?

When you register online, you’ll be able to add your name to the wait list if an OLLI class is full.  If space becomes available, you’ll receive an email, and will have 48 hours to determine if you’d like to take that space.  If you don’t, no additional action is needed as the automated system will offer the space to the next person on the wait list.

Return to FAQ Contents

Are my membership and course fees refundable?

OLLI membership fees are nonrefundable. Course tuition fees are nonrefundable however, on a case-by-case basis, full or partial tuition refunds may be considered providing an extenuating circumstance exists. If you need to drop a class, you are encouraged to request a transfer to an OLLI class of equal value that may better fit your schedule. If you feel you have a unique situation requiring a course tuition refund, complete the Refund Appeal Form and email it to OLLI@colostate.edu. The OLLI Appeal Committee will review your request and notify you of the decision.

If a course is cancelled by OLLI, a course refund will be processed. Credit card refunds require 10 business days; check refunds may take up to eight weeks and will be mailed to the address on file.

Return to FAQ Contents

Does OLLI offer tuition assistance?

Absolutely!  The Oltjenbruns Tuition Assistance fund was established in honor of the commitment that Kevin and Ken Oltjenbruns have shown to OLLI for many years. If financial hardship is preventing you from taking OLLI courses, you’re encouraged to apply for tuition assistance. Call (970) 491-7753 or email us at OLLI@colostate.edu if you have questions or need an application form.

Return to FAQ Contents

Can I make a donation to OLLI at CSU?

Your ongoing support of our Osher Lifelong Learning Institute  help us reach our annual fundraising goals. With your tax-deductible contributions we can enhance, grow and continue to create an engaging and thoughtful learning environment. Please consider making a generous online donation today.

Return to FAQ Contents

Are assistive-listening devices available?

Yes, the OLLI office has several portable assistive-listing devices available that enhance the ability to hear the instructors using classroom microphones.  Please stop by the office before class if you’d like to check out one of these devices as we have personal earphones available for your use.

Return to FAQ Contents

Can I buy a gift membership?

Looking for the perfect gift for a friend or relative? Give the gift of learning! We have membership gift certificates available for any occasion.
Email the OLLI team at OLLI@colostate.edu for more information and we'll be happy to help you arrange a gift certificate.

Return to FAQ Contents

Do you cancel courses due to weather conditions?

The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute follows the University's severe weather policy in regard to cancelling in-person courses due to weather. Our online courses will continue as planned unless you receive email or phone notification of cancellation from the OLLI team. If extreme weather occurs and you have questions about Colorado State University or OLLI's status, please email us at OLLI@colostate.edu.  It is important that we also have your correct phone number so we can contact you in case of emergency.

Return to FAQ Contents

How do I become an OLLI instructor?

Thank you for your interest in becoming an OLLI at Colorado State University instructor. OLLI is always interested in welcoming new instructors who bring exciting in-person and virtual learning opportunities in a wide range of academic subjects and instructional formats.

We are no longer accepting additional proposals for the upcoming Fall 2021 term however the OLLI Course Proposal Forms for Spring 2022 will be available on this website beginning September 1, 2021 and we invite you to submit your course or OLLI Talk lecture proposal. Please email all course proposals to OLLI@colostate.edu. Proposals are reviewed by the OLLI team and/or a Curriculum Committee.

Return to FAQ Contents